I’m a former educator turned professional counselor. I specialize in co-occurring disorders. I’ve worked with sexually abused children, teenage sex offenders, drug addicts and alcoholics. If it weren’t for the confidential nature of my work, I’d sure have interesting stories to tell. In 2014 I launched CounselingInsite.com which is a website that offers free online mental health counseling resources. I’m an amateur blogger and web designer. I’m passionate about psychology, politics, and the intersection of the two. I get really into both on Twitter. You can follow me here:
My approach to psychotherapy is built upon a foundation of person-centered principles such as congruence, authenticity, and unconditional positive regard. I believe that the establishment of a strong therapeutic alliance is critical. I use evidence-based modalities such as Cognitive Behavioral Therapy, Motivational Interviewing, Solution-Focused Brief Therapy, and Reality Therapy. In my substance-abuse work, I promote Twelve-Step facilitation, but I recognize that AA and NA are not for everyone. Beck, Adler, Rogers, Glasser, and Ellis influence my style.
Education & Certifications
I have earned Masters degrees in Counseling and Education. I am a Nationally Certified Counselor, Licensed Professional Counselor (LPCA), and Licensed Clinical Addictions Specialist (LCAS).
- Master of Arts, Clinical Mental Health Counseling, 2014 – Lenoir-Rhyne University, Hickory, NC
- Master of Science, English Education, 1999 – Florida State University, Tallahassee, FL
- Bachelor of Arts, English/Writing; Minor, Psychology, 1997 – Florida State University, Tallahassee, FL
- National Board for Certified Counselors (NCC)
- North Carolina Board of Licensed Professional Counselors (LPCA)
- North Carolina Substance Abuse Professional Practice Board (LCAS)
- International Certification and Reciprocity Consortium (ICAADC).
- Intensive In-Home and FCT Therapist – Pinnacle Family Services, Hickory, NC: June 2017 – Present
- Consultant – Miracles Asia, Phuket, Thailand: February 2017 – June, 2017.
- Licensed MH/SA Counselor – The Cognitive Connection, Hickory, NC: April 2015 – April 2017.
- Therapeutic Foster Care Case Manager — Families First Support Services, NC: October 2012 – March 2015.
- Intern – FOCUS Behavioral Health Morganton, NC: August 2013 – May 2014.
- Transition Specialist – Hastings Youth Academy, Hastings, FL: September 2010 to August 2011.
Admiral Farragut Academy, St. Petersburg, FL: 1999 to 2008
- Special Assistant to the Headmaster: 2007 to 2009
- Director of College Placement: 2002 to 2007
- Assistant Director, Upper School Academics: 2005 to 2007
- Upper Division English Teacher: 1999 – 2007
- Adjunct Professor, St. Petersburg College: 199-2003
- President, Catawba Valley Association of Counselors and Therapists – 2015-2017
- CEO and Founder, Counseling Insite – 2014
- American Counseling Association (ACA)
- National Board for Certified Counselors (NBCC)
- The Association for Addictions Professionals (NAADAC)